I beg your pardon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TEC Message Board ]

Posted by islandman on August 16, 2012 at 20:29:59:

In Reply to: Re: I retain my contempt for Hendrick posted by Why Not on August 16, 2012 at 19:22:41:

Why Do We Have Presidential Pardons?
Article II of the United States Constitution gives the president the power to pardon people for committing crimes. Article II gives the president this power in order to create an opportunity for the president to correct errors made by judges.

People can apply for presidential pardons, and those requests may be accepted or denied by the president. In most cases, the Justice Department suggests that convicted criminals wait at least five years before applying for a Presidential Pardon. The president can also pardon people on his own, even if they didn't request a pardon or don't even want one! These pardons can be made at any time, sometimes even before the criminal has served a single day in jail.

Even if a criminal is pardoned, though, this doesn't mean the criminal is now considered to be innocent of the crime. A pardon just means you don't have to submit to the rest of your punishment. Pardoned criminals still have a crime on their records

Follow Ups:

Name
Password
Subject
Icons
Index
Link URL
Link Title
Image URL

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TEC Message Board ]